Fun Facts About Chiropractic
The number of those benefiting from chiropractic care continues to rise as more and more people discover the importance of good spinal health and that chiropractic offers a drug-free option for pain. Here are some chiropractic fun facts you may not know:
1. The term “chiropractic” derives from two Grecian words: cheir which means hand, and praktos which means done. “Done by Hand” – seems appropriate.
2. The first chiropractic adjustment was given in 1895 by Daniel David Palmer (the father of chiropractic!) who helped a janitor, Harvey Lillard, regain his hearing after a back injury he suffered 17 years prior.
3. Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) go through a minimum of 4,200 hours of classroom, lab, and clinical internships during their 4-year doctoral graduate school program. Perspective: If you combine all that time, that’s 175 days straight.
4. It is estimated that DCs treat over 35 million Americans, this includes adults and children, annually.
5. There are roughly 100,000 doctors of chiropractic in active practice across the globe, and about 10,000 students are currently enrolled in chiropractic education programs in the United States alone.
6. All 32 NFL teams have their own chiropractor to boost performance, maintain wellness and treat musculoskeletal strain and injury.
7. Infants can benefit greatly from chiropractic care. It makes sense since birth itself can be hard on such a little body.
8. Each day, over one million adjustments take place across the globe. There are thousands happening as you read this!
9. Chiropractic is recognized and regulated by law in over 49 countries! And in the United States, DCs are licensed in all 50 states.
10.An injured worker is 28 times less likely to have spinal surgery if the first point of contact is a DC rather than a surgeon.
11.Treatment for low back pain initiated by a DC costs up to 20 percent less than when started by a medical doctor.
Quiz some of your friends and see how much they know about chiropractic!